As 2014 draws to a close, the ubiquitous and seemingly obligatory requirement of just about all blogs and sites everywhere is to provide a countdown of specific areas of interest.
The eLFonian is no different. However, we don’t have one. We don’t have two. We don’t have three or four or even five. We have six areas that caught the attention of The eLFonian. And so, as the year begins to fade into the distant past, never again to be seen or heard of except for the memories that it might have created and the posts that continue to linger in the anals of the internet, enjoy the following wrap up for posterity’s sake.
- Random Country: In this, the inaugural year of The eLFonian, we focus on Australia, a fledgling country that has come under some attention recently and has been under close observation in the halls of eLFonia. The top stories of 2014 in Australia are brought to us by news.com.au.
- World: The BBC seems to have exercised great self-restraint in the expression of emotion, attributable no doubt, to the rigid labium superioris oris syndrome, given that its review of the top stories in 2014 wasn’t showing at the time this post was published. Perhaps it will appear in the New Year. Could there be a relationship between these two phenomenon?
- Science: Science Mag has its list of ten stories for 2014 which includes a different perspective on some items from the year – from space bubbles to Bigfoot to the Black Death. If you want your science straight out of the box, then CBC News has its list of the top 10 for 2014.
- Marketing: Marketing Magazine provided us with the top 10 marketing news items that made the biggest waves in 2014.
- The Bizarre: In this category, both business and the bizarre are covered in the one list. Could this be an oxymoron? The Financial Post reveals the most bizarre business stories of 2014.
- Quotes: Of course, what would any round up be without some notable quotes from the year. Entrepenuer has provided some inspiring and quotable quotes from 2014.
Planet Earth is a wonderful world to live in irrespective of the foibles of collective annotations at year’s end. Yet man seems to have downtrodden the beauty and splendour that should be enjoyed by all people. Even the most casual observation of the history of man reveals that it is tainted by atrocities carried out by those who cannot let go of the past as they bring old issues down on innocent people all in the name of causes that are no longer relevant to the present and have no place in the future.
eLFonians share the sentiment of forgiveness. Until one practices such, the wounds of the past will continue to fester and bear down upon those in the present and the future. Enjoy this planet in harmony and peace.
Whatever 2014 brought or meant for you, whether it was something that excited you, saddened you, upset you, made you happy, made you laugh, made you cry. Whatever it was, may the year approaching that is just round the bend, be filled with the best of 2014 and may 2015 greet you with joy, peace and love.
There’s an old eLFonian saying, “Through much adversity, can come much strength. Through much apathy, can come much waste.” May you be strengthened by your adversity and may any apathy be laid to waste.